BBQ Chicken, Jersey Royals and tenderstem Broccoli
Fodder Shopping List
- 2 – 4 Soanes chicken thighs on the bone or two Soanes chicken breasts (to be butterflied)
- 250g Jersey Royal potatoes
- 1 small sprig of fresh mint
- 6 stems tenderstem broccoli
For the BBQ Sauce
- 3 tablespoons date molasses
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- A small sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Henderson’s relish
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Red chilli ½ or a whole one – depending how hot you like it
- Cut the chilli in half and remove the top stem, deseed, and finely chop.
- Add all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce into a pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse and cool.
- Place half the sauce into a bowl with the chicken, mix and leave to marinade. Ideally marinade the chicken for 3-5 hours in the fridge covered in cling film on a low shelf.
- Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water, add a sprig of mint and cook together with ¼ teaspoon salt for around 10 minutes.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking place the chicken thighs, or your butterfly chicken breasts onto the BBQ and sit any of the remaining herbs or spices on the top.
- It will take approximately 20 minutes to cook the chicken thighs and 8 mins to cook the chicken breasts, turning both different cuts of chicken once.
- Spray or rub a little Wharfe Valley rapeseed oil into the broccoli.
- When the chicken is ¾ of the way through cooking, add the broccoli stems to your BBQ and cook turning once or twice for an even cook.
- Drain the potatoes and add butter if you wish.
- The chicken should now be ready. If you have a food thermometer test the chicken and it should be over 75 °C in the center. If you do not have a thermometer check with a knife in the center of the chicken, the juices should be clear.
- Place the drained potatoes on the plate along with your cooked chicken. Add three stems of tenderstem broccoli.
- Finish off with a little drizzle of the reserved BBQ sauce from earlier and serve.
- Happy BBQ time.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop
Sign up for our newsletter
Get latest news, events and discounts direct to your inbox!
Other Fodder Recipes