Mehdi’s Lamb Bhuna
2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
4 tsp. whole mustard seeds
2 tsp. whole fennel seeds
2 tsp. whole fenugreek seeds
4 tsp. coriander seeds
3 whole dried chilli
5 tbsp. rapeseed oil
3 large shallots, finely chopped
1 ½ inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
Half bulb of garlic
6 curry leaves
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1kg diced lamb
1 tsp. salt
½ head of cauliflower cut into florets
Longley Farm natural yogurt
Fresh coriander to garnish
Originally appearing in our 10th Birthday recipe book Mehdi’s Lamb Bhuna is a fantastic curry with delicious spices, accompanied by a cool creamy yogurt dip. All ingredients available to buy in Fodder.
1. Dry fry all of the seeds and dried chilli together until coloured.
2. Remove from heat, cool and grind.
3. Heat the oil, add the shallots, ginger and garlic and fry until golden brown.
4. Add the curry leaves, tomatoes and ground roast spices.
5. Stir, then cook until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick paste.
6. Add the meat and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add 500ml water and bring to a simmer.
8. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1.5 hours.
9. Remove the lid, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce is reduced to the point where it clings to the meat. Add the peas and cauliflower and cook for a final 5 minutes.
10.Serve with mini poppadum’s and a spoonful of Longley Farm natural yogurt mixed with cubed cucumber.