Twice-Baked Blue Cheese Souffle
Preparation time: 30 minutes + cooling
Fodder Shopping List
- 50g Longley Farm unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- ½ x 80g Finely Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 tbsp Sunflowers plain flour
- 250ml whole milk
- 250g Yorkshire Blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 medium Ian Taylor Free Range Eggs, separated
- ½ x whole nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ x 25g pack chives, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 50ml Longley Farm double cream
You could use a mixture of any leftover Christmas cheeses in these airy soufflés, just grate firm varieties and crumble softer ones.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Grease 6 x 200ml ramekins with butter, brushing it up the sides. Coat each with Parmigiano Reggiano and tap out the excess (reserve this for the soufflé mix).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat until foaming and then add the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes until golden, then remove from the heat and very gradually stir in the milk. Simmer over a medium heat, stirring constantly, for a further 2-3 minutes until thick and smooth then season.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 175g blue cheese (plus the excess Parmigiano Reggiano), the egg yolks, nutmeg and chives, until evenly mixed. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites and vinegar to form stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the cheese mixture until just combined.
- Divide between the prepared ramekins and place in a deep baking tray. Pour boiling water into the tray until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins (it’s best to do this with the tray on the oven shelf). Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden, risen and firm. Carefully remove from the tray and cool completely. Run a knife around the soufflés to loosen, before turning out onto squares of parchment. Cook as below, or cool, cover and chill for up to 3 days.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven up to 220˚C, gas mark 7. Place the soufflés in a baking dish, pour over the cream and top with the remaining 75g cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes (they may take longer if frozen) or until puffed and bubbling. Scatter over more chives. Delicious with salad as a starter or with steamed green veg for something more substantial.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop