Tasty Fish Pie
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1hr
Fodder Shopping List
- 1kg potatoes, cut into 5cm/2in chunks
- 50g Longley Farm butter
- 100g Longley Farm crème fraiche
- 3 tbsp warm milk
- Pinch salt and white pepper
For the filling
- 500ml milk
- 240g Ramus smoked haddock
- 240g Ramus cod loin
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves (optional)
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped
- 50g butter, plus 25g for dotting on top of the pie
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 100g raw king prawns (optional)
- 50g Yorkshire frozen peas
This fish pie recipe is a perfect mid week meal for all the family to enjoy.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
- Boil potatoes, drain and mash them with the butter, crème fraîche and warm milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the milk in a large pan, add the smoked haddock and cod. Cut the onion in half, make an incision in one of the halves and insert the bay leaf. Push the cloves into the same onion half and place this into the pan with the milk and fish.
- Bring the milk to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6–7 mins.
- Finely chop the remaining onion half and the leeks. Heat the butter in a small frying pan, gently fry the onion and leeks for 4–5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Remove the fish from the pan, set aside to cool slightly. Keep the milk in the pan.
- Add the flour to the leeks and onions and stir well. Fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Gradually add in the milk from poaching the fish, and stir it in well each time. Add all the milk in this way, and heat gently until the sauce has thickened. Taste the sauce for seasoning, add more salt or pepper if necessary
- Break the fish into chunks, careful to feel for any bones and remove any skin, then fold the fish pieces into the sauce. Add the raw prawns and frozen peas to the mixture.
- Place an ovenproof pie dish onto a baking tray (this will catch any of the mix that bubbles over when cooking). Spoon the fish mixture into the dish.
- Carefully top with the cooled mashed potato. Use a fork to spread the mash over the pie and create a rough texture on top or pipe the mash if you want to be fancy! Dot the pie with the remaining half of the butter and place in the oven for 25–30 mins, or until golden-brown.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop